17 November, 2011

So you want to get published...

Wow! So do I, see how much we have in common already;) 


Last month, I was hired to scout a wonderful project to be submitted to a regional magazine. It was recommended by the Architect's Public Relations person that I scout the project rather than someone in their office just sending along photographs to the editor. When I later thanked the PR person, they said "no problem, I wanted to make sure you got the shoot..."


Being in PR this person knows about the "gentleman's agreement" that exists between regional magazines and photographers. What agreement you may ask? Well if a project is submitted to a regional magazine and the photographs where taken by a professional published photographer, then they are guaranteed to get the shoot if the project is accepted by that magazine, keeping the "team" intact.


When a project is submitted without a photographers involvement, it is then up to the regional magazine to choose a photographer. For instance, over this past year in Boston Common Magazine I had four features (and one more in next month's issue). All of which where submitted without a photographers involvement. Boston Common Magazine was then kind enough to hire me to shoot those features. 


So if you have a project that you would like to submit or if you've recently been contacted by a magazine asking if you have anything new? Please consider contacting me first, and we can discuss the many avenues to publication.


Warm Regards,


Michael J. Lee



No comments: