29 December, 2012

Goodnight 2012

I've been meaning to write a year end blog post for over a week now and thought I would get to it after the 25th. However, I have the flu and have not done much of anything this past week. Yet to let this year pass without some reflection would be wrong of me and so sorry no pictures or links and mind the grammar but here it goes...

10. In February, I was invited by a group of distinguished vendors to put together a presentation on Architectural Photography. In an effort to translate what we see in "film" into real life, I asked Designer Ana Donohue to create a vignette that would be photographed as part of the presentation. That photo has since been used in several ads, and won an award. What made that night so special is that we all met in a barn, in a snow storm and some of the guests sat on the stairs and some of the guests, stood but in the end we all felt like a community that is dedicated to Good Design.

9. In the beginning of the year, I learned that the Globe Magazine was about to make a complete re-design of the magazine, which included the Style Watch section. As a team, writer Jaci Conry and I, produced every "Home" Style Watch last year, except one (that one came out last week). But not to worry, we have the January 2013 Style Watch, so Thank You very much The Boston Globe Magazine and Jaci Conry for giving even the "one rooms" their day in print!

8. In the spring, I was honored to be selected by Boston Magazine to cover the Boston Magazine 2012 Design Home. Lead by a tremendous team of Architect, Designer and Builder and supported by the area's top vendors and manufacturers, it was a real pleasure. I must especially thank Boston Magazines' Leah O'Brien and Christina Tassie Miller for all of their support.

7. Influenced by Joanne DiFrancesco of JD Communications, I volunteered several years ago to photograph the Room to Dreams' completed spaces. Including the very special moment of the actual  reveal to the child and family. This year proved to be extra special with wonderful Rooms and dedicated people who gave so much to create for a child, a Room to Dream in.

6. All the buzz this year seemed to be around one house, The Junior League ShowHouse. I was especially honored to have been selected by so many Designers to document their wonderful spaces. Including a special node by New England Home Magazine to photograph certain spaces for their just released January/February issue (See Page 40).

5. The year 2012, was my fifth year in business and what made that even more special was a call from my very first client, Michael Carter. To produce an ad for the opening of Carter/Dayton Home in Wellesley. Which led to photographing the wonderfully appointed showroom. I wish all the best in this New Year to the Carter/Dayton Home family.

4. When Charles Spada, contacted me to photograph some ads for New England Home Magazine this year, I was humbled to say the least. When that led to two full page ads in Veranda Magazine, well I was over the moon and will never forget the feeling of holding a Veranda Magazine with my photograph inside!

3. While technically this next milestone is on the cover of a magazine dated Jan/Feb 2013, the honor of gracing the cover of New England Home Magazine was made all the more special as, it was shared with the firm of Terrat Elms. Andrew Terrat and Dee Elms and I first worked together at the W Hotel over two years ago. It was the icing on the cake to learn that the Jan/Feb cover of New England Home Magazine is both theirs and my first cover with NEH.

2. This was just realized yesterday:) As you may know New England Home Magazine only has four main features per issue. In addition to the Terrat Elms Cover Feature, I had also been eagerly anticipating a wonderful feature that I photographed by Designers' Hanlon-Wantuck, Styled by Stacy Kunstel (more on this in January). 
You know what really struck me as I leafed through the Jan/Feb issue? The photographers whom shot the other two features! Bruce Buck and Robert Benson, do you know who they are? Please look them up, they are masters of Architectural Photography and it is an absolute honor to be included with them. Actually sent chills up my spin.

1. Last and certainly not least, are the many, many Designers, Architects and Builders who chose to work with me. As I look back on 2012, I am so very fortunate to work with the very best in their fields and I appreciate every single one of you.

Warm regards, and best wishes for a healthy and happy New Year.

Michael

No comments: