26 July, 2011

Funny thing happened on the way to the pier...

So funny thing happened on the way to the pier...
Linda Merrill and I wanted to produce her cover shot for ::Surroundings:: magazine at the Hingham ship yard with the fabulous Spinniker chair from BG Galleries in Hingham. I had scouted out this pier owned by Mass Port a few weeks prior and we decided to do the shot "after hours" when we could sneak to the end of the pier (about a 300 yard walk) carrying a cooler with beer, a lounge chair, an ottoman, an end table and size 11 1/2 shoes...
Having not been able to get all the way to the end of the pier the day I scouted, I wasn't sure how the rail would come into play, so I brought two camera bodies, with different lenses to cover all bases and once the coast was clear we carried everything to the end. I turned to Peter Levis of BG Galleries and said "do you trust me", I hopped the railing and said "please hand me the chair". I placed the chair as close to the edge as possible, got on the other side of the rail and took some test shots. Set up the hat, table, and shoes and continued to study the shot. Once I knew how to shoot it, I opened the cooler and opened the beer (my second criminal offense that day, next to trespassing on government property). The baseball hat was blowing in the wind so I took enough shots to make sure I would have one with the cap in the right place, drank the evidence;) and we packed up...
To see the final cover and see the latest issue of ::Surroundings:: magazine, please follow this link:
And for more behind the scenes footage, read Linda's blog post here:
Oh, and in case you where wondering what I am doing in the above photo, well the chair and I where having creative differences;)
Warm Regards,
Michael J. Lee

No comments: